Surgery and Technical Services
ULAR provides the facilities and support staff for survival surgeries, non-survival surgeries, and technical procedures for all species of research animals to investigators as well as outside companies. ULAR staff is available to provide technical support to researchers on a limited basis.
All of ULAR’s facilities are accredited by the Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care International (AAALAC) and are able to support Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) studies.
The surgical services support staff consists of registered veterinary technicians, laboratory animal health technicians, and veterinarians with expertise in animal model development.
- Veterinary anesthesia machines, physiologic monitors, cautery, hot bead sterilizers, scales, and restraint devices
- Imaging, including ultrasound and fluoroscopy
- Minimally-invasive surgical equipment
- Surgical microscopes and rodent surgery supplies
- Technical assistance and consultation for antibody production, venipuncture, anesthesia, breeding, genotyping, etc., for all species of laboratory animals
- Instrument sterilization (steam)
- Assistance with continuing education programs and courses (ATLS, Zollinger Society)
ULAR staff is available to provide technical support to researchers on a limited basis. Requests for technical services from ULAR must be received at least 5 business days in advance of the required service to ensure that staff and needed supplies are available. Supplies will not be provided by ULAR unless specifically requested. ULAR will help you determine what supplies are needed based on the techniques being performed.
If on-going or intense technical support is required, it may be more cost-effective to hire a dedicated technical support person. ULAR veterinarians can provide a list of qualified applicants or help assess the animal handling/technical skills of applicants.
Supplies (when applicable): Charged at cost + 65%
Personnel: Fees will be rounded up to the nearest 15 minute increment and may include travel time. Hourly personnel charges are as follows:
- ULAR business hours (Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. – 4 p.m.): $37.05/hour
- Weekend/evening/holiday hours: $54.30/hour
To schedule ULAR technical services, please complete the Request for Technical Services form and send it to email@example.com. The Laboratory Animal Technician (LAT) or clinical veterinarian for your facility can also assist in scheduling ULAR technical services.