The Animal Requisition Process
An active Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) approved protocol is required to order animals. Following approval of a protocol, animals may be ordered from commercial sources or imported from other universities. Once animals are obtained, they can only be used for procedures or experiments related to the specific protocol number under which they were ordered.
To order animals from a vendor, or to import them from another university, complete the ULAR animal order request located in e-Protocol within your protocol workspace. Training for e-Protocol is available online or by request.
For Large Animal (non-rodent) orders, the large animal procurement specialist must be involved in all orders and serves as the liaison between the research team, the animal vendor and the ULAR vivarium team. Such coordination is needed to ensure animal availability and housing space to meet the needs of the research model.
Ordering Animals from Commercial Sources (Approved Vendors)
- Once the order request is complete, click “submit request” to forward for fiscal approval.
- After fiscal approval, the request is forwarded for vivarium approval and then goes to purchasing/procurement.
- Automated emails are generated to the contact person listed in the order request as the order progresses through each step. In addition, an automated email will be sent when animals are received into their housing location.
- Animal delivery details are available at the animal facility where the animals are expected to be housed.
- Be sure to submit orders to allow time for processing. Orders need to be into the procurement office per the following deadlines:
- NIA – Monday – 10:00 a.m.
- NCI – Tuesday – 10:00 a.m.
- Jackson, Taconic, Charles River, Covance & Harlan – Wednesday – 10:00 a.m.
Acquiring Animals from Other Universities or Non-Approved Vendors
- Rodents received from non-approved vendors or other universities will be quarantined. For more information on the quarantine procedure, please read the ULAR-User Guidance for the Import-Quarantine of Rodents.
- Complete the order request in e-protocol being sure to provide the requested contact information from the other institution/non-approved vendor.