Transferring Animals

Animal Facility Transfer Guidelines

Submit the animal transfer in e-protocol. To check on the status of the transfer request, click on the “order/transfer” tab in e-protocol. Once the request has received approvals it will go to the “transportation requested” state if ULAR transport was requested.

ULAR provides free transport services via a climate-controlled vehicle. Principal investigators and their staff are strongly encouraged to use this service. If you request ULAR to transport your cages/animals, please indicate in the comments section how cages to be moved are marked.

Alternatively, for principal investigators and their staff who choose to move their own animals, once the transfer request indicates it is “complete” in e-protocol, then the animals may be moved. Please follow the IACUC animal-specific transportation policy listed below:

Certain animals may require additional testing before being transferred to a cleaner ULAR facility. For example, animals to be moved from a barrier or conventional room into a sterile room, at the request of the principal investigator, must undergo additional testing. Animals that have been used in colony testing and disease elimination studies must also undergo additional testing.

Testing costs will be billed to the principal investigator. Quarantine periods will vary, dependent upon the tests required.

Protocol to Protocol Transfers

When animals need to move from one protocol to another, use the transfer animals request in e-protocol. This form must be completed for all protocol to protocol transfers regardless of  whether the animal’s physical space has changed.

Animal Transfers to Another Institution

Animals that are being transferred to a location not associated with The Ohio State University are considered “exports”.

For additional information, read the ULAR-User Guidance for the Export of Rodents. Questions should be directed to